A blog about the pre-war blues (recordings, songs, bluesmen, lyrics)

Well, here we go

4.06.2007

This blog is about blues. About its memories and especially about the remaining recordings. The recordings listed here will not follow any historycal or evolutive logic. The only criterion I use is my personal taste; or maybe it's the particular kind of blues I experience in some particular moment. For it seems my guitar and harp cain't do de job no mo'. I had to find another way to spell that ole blues out loud.
The manner of presentation I've chosen is writing about albums and collections. Some of them are famous, others almost forgotten. I love them equally.
I write about albums for several reasons. First of all, because this is how we acknowledge the blues (I mean the traditional blues). I once tried giving an empathetic description of the living blues, but I rediculous failed, listing clichés and pathetic moans. the time we live in condemns us to have a cold, rather profilactic contact with the music. It may hurt, but it's so true.
Secondly, I write about albums because it calls for coherence. It doesn't allow me compulsively writing pathetic divagations. It barely does allows recollecting some anecdotes about the lives of the singers (the blues being first of all a history). I write about blues albums because I am incapable of writing a blues history. Maybe by writing about these albums, the desired history would spring into light by itself.
In the third place, I write about albums because this may be useful. I don't know who you are or what you're after when visiting this blog, but I'm quite sure you're not looking for my regrets for being born too late, too late. If I get to present you something new, I'll be really glad; and if I get to convince you loving a song or a bluesman, I'll sure be more than happy.
Every time I'll find some relevant resources about the album I'll be writing about, I'll make sure point them out. By relevant resources I mean dusty clips on Youtube, ole songs on Pandora, public domain blues (such as Charlie Patton recordings on Wikimedia Commons) or album reviews on my favourite blues sites or blogs.
What I hope offering you by writing here is, if possible, a little bit of information and hopefully a preview (or should I call it postview) of what blues might have been; the occasion of a reverie.
But enough talking for now. It's late, everything is still, and I'm listening to Scrapper Blackwell.

0 commentaires:

Post a Comment